Heard another great podcast today, courtesy of EntrepreneurOnFire, and it was a bit of an epiphany moment. Specifically it is episode #589 with Hal Elrod, check it out if you’re looking for inspiration. Hal is the author of The Miracle Morning, which I have not read, yet has already changed my life (I plan to read the book, so don’t be ugly). During the podcast, he goes into the power of the morning routine and how it changed the course of his life when he was in his darkest place. And his evidence is VALID.
Now as I reflect on the past couple months since my lay off, I can admit that my routine in the morning has been anything but productive and systematic. Sleeping in, late starts, snooze button… I was not actively creating a great future for myself, I was stalling and dreading the hunt… then I got hungry. I kickstarted my metamorphosis with the front end engineering course at The Iron Yard, which forced me into a daily and weekly schedule. Everything happens for a reason and began to falling into place and this new schedule led me to find this particular realization that is…
SPENCER NEEDS A MORNING ROUTINE.
EVERYDAY – NO EXCEPTIONS.
Sounds simple, and you’re thinking duh! Spence, but the point is I wasn’t doing it AND had never really architected one that I loved and stuck to routinely. So, I’m here to share my morning routine and I hope it inspires you to take action on creating a morning routine that’s personal to you and helps you towards the success you seek.
-side note: I’ve been adhering to this for the last 6 days and my routine has evolved. I’ve added elements and taken some away – but the core framework and foundation has been laid – it’s ok to make alterations, in fact it’s encouraged.
-update (2/11/14): added positive affirmations
-update (2/18/14): added cold showers to the routine – testing its effectiveness
-update (2/26/14): cold showers are here to stay – really enjoying the positive effects
My Morning Routine [~1hr]:
- Wake up at 6:30am – go pee.
- If Dani is with me, hold her for 15 min.
- Calm.com for 2-10 minutes
- Brush teeth, floss, scrape tongue, down a 16oz glass of water.
- Shower-time – 50% of shower is lukewarm and last 50% is cold (added 2/18)
- Shave (if needed)
- Put on underwear
- Exercise (~5-7min)
- 30 push ups into a 1 min downward dog
- Stand up into 15 slow toe touches and hands high reaching
- 30 air squats, slow at first – increasing speed
- Deep lunge, hip flexor stretch (30 sec each leg)
- Say my positive affirmations (added 2/11)
- Get dressed and pack my daypack
- Make bed
- Downstairs to eat breakfast and listen to the EOF podcast
- Out the door or starting activities by 7:30am
And that’s it!… For now. I’ll leave you with my first thoughts every morning as that alarm goes off.